Scott knows the way to Kim’s heart is, in part, through chocolate. So he’s learned to make incredible chocolate chip cookies. The cookies, in fact, are a recipe that my own mom used to bake — chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside and, in a word, heavenly.
Mom's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/3 cup shortening (like Crisco) Shortening will make the cookies puff up.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg If your eggs are small, use 2.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 6 oz package chocolate chips
- Beat shortening, butter, egg, white and brown sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture.
- Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
- For puffier cookies, refrigerate over night. Or go ahead and drop cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pans. Yield: 4-5 dozen.